Door lining for 50mm metal studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am willing to fit a 610mm door to a toilet. I have built the walls using 50mm metal studs and once I add 12.5mm plasterboard to both sides, my wall thickness will get to 75mm. I am finding it really difficult to find a door lining that has 75mm in depth and can accommodate a 610mm width door.
Any ideas or suggestions or really appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You will have to make up , needs to be 80mm to allow for plaster skim coat .

You cut it down to correct width.
So I'll buy door lining kit from local shop that has a saw mill and they cut down to width.

Other way is to buy wood correct size and make lining as dead easy.

Or cut one down yourself with cheep track saw or with hand saw but that won't be easy or fun.

Own any power tools to cut?
Better buy correct width from local shop. Maybe B&Q can cut? I don't know if they can but they cut sheets so maybe buy lining kit from them if they can cut

Sponsored Links
@Wayners Thank you very much for your advice. I thought there was something ready out there. The smallest depth I could find at Selco is 100mm but that is not even for 610mm width doors, so I think the best option is to build one myself.

@Wayners Just a question if I really go down the route of building the door lining myself: What would be the sizes rebate for a 610mm door?

610mm plus 2mm either side.
Cut 2 bits of wood 614mm to act as spacing guide.
Cut top cross wood with saw to allow side timber thickness to sit in channel by removing wood to create channel. Glue and drill through top down into sides. This stops the top twisting over time.
Fit frame with just a few screws but not tight.
Hang door then wedge frame to adjust to fit nice on all door edges. Then more screws to hold frame.
Father in law fitted 100s and tried to make and adjust frame so he never needed to plane doors. He taught me although not my main trade but made a few over the years. Its easy enough.
Must be youtube videos on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back