Door linings wastage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been fixing door linings and my doors are about 2.3m tall, and the door linings timbers are 4.2m tall, so I have lots of leftover pieces of 1.9m!

Could I connect two smaller pieces to make a 2,3m length? Is that something a carpenter might do?

Sponsored Links
Hi Akist, I'm not a carpenter, just a DIYer, so I'm interested to see what any carpenters say to you. I have built stud walls and made door openings and hung doors etc and my feeling is that you could brace it enough so it would be structurally sound with enough screws and support from the timber behind the door lining but I'm wondering if and how you could get the join to look ok? Particularly as there would probably be some movement just from the opening and closing of the door so any paint might crack or show the join? I'm not sure though - never attempted it. Curious to see what answers you get and if you go for it I'd be interested to know how you get on? Would you be planning to fill the join with something?

I have been fixing door linings and my doors are about 2.3m tall, and the door linings timbers are 4.2m tall, so I have lots of leftover pieces of 1.9m!

Could I connect two smaller pieces to make a 2,3m length? Is that something a carpenter might do?
Could you not get 2.4m lengths ( a readily available size) to save wastage.

Would you be planning to fill the join with something?
I would bolt/clamp two pieces together, overlapping where they need to join by say 50mm, then I would cut both with a mitre saw at an angle, in two directions, the vertical and the depth. If I were using the chop saw I think the boards would be laid flat on the base, I would use a 30-45 degree angle in both mitre and "tilt" and then I'd make a cut. I'd glue the joint, no screws or nails. Setting it up would not be easy or possible as I do not have a work bench, my chop saw is on a large format tile ontop of an old garden table.

Could you not get 2.4m lengths ( a readily available size) to save wastage.
Travis Perkins said "only 4.2m lengths" and stupidly I did not check...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back