door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a existing rear living room extension, and will now be building a kitchen that will level off it.
Im putting in a door from the kitchen to garden.

Any one know if its o.k to attach one side of a door frame to the existing extension and the other side to the new extension wall.
I read there has to be a insulated cavity closer on each side of opening, would i have to attach one to the existing extension wall.

Could there be any problems with regs? heat loss etc.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing exactly that. The door from the dining room to the conservatory will be hung, one side on the existing solid double skin wall and the other side on the new cavity wall. Obviously, I'll only be able to use a cavity closer on one side. Whereas there's no reason for you not to insert a cavity closer in the existing wall.
I assume you are using an insulated lintel across the top?

Incidentally, use a cavity closer across the bottom also.

Another point, use wall ties at every course in the new wall at the unbonded jamb.

The only criteria is for a vertical DPC up the jambs, and maybe a thermal break - but there is no specific requirement for an insulated cavity closer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back