Door painting blunder!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Yesterday I made a big old whoopsie and just trying to establish how much of a whoopsie.

I have interior doors with lots of glass panels. Previously varnished. I sanded off varnish - that was fine, I think!

I went to buy new supplies as leant my primer to someone and in error picked up undercoat which I didn't realise the error until the door was painted and I was trying to wash the brushes with water as I did with my previous primer.

I want to apply satin gloss.

Will I have to strip back and start again or will undercoat without primer be ok?

Also if it is ok, how many coats do you tend to apply? It's semi transparent at the moment. Should be be opaque before I apply the satin gloss?

Sponsored Links
At this point you shouldn't need primer, so long as the varnish was well sanded (I've found).
I also found that the surface needs to be opaque before adding the top coat - just to avoid too many coats of that.
John :)

At this point you shouldn't need primer, so long as the varnish was well sanded (I've found).
I also found that the surface needs to be opaque before adding the top coat - just to avoid too many coats of that.
John :)

What a relief. I really didn't want to start having to start again. Got 2 other doors to do. So you reckon it would be ok to do the same with the others?

Sponsored Links
So it's oil based undercoat? (Hence the remark about cleaning the brush with water being the "found out" point.)

You can top coat oil uc with water based satin, I'd suggest you give it a few days of cure time first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back