Door Slamming Strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I've got an internal door frame which is the type without a rabbet joint, in other words the slamming strips will be nailed to the frame, does anyone have any idea how much clearance should be allowed between these strips and the door stiles and top rail to allow for painting.

Obviously one could say it depends how many coats of paint are going on so I'm going to say from bare wood 3 coats.

They say you can find out how to make a bomb on the internet, so why can't I find something as simple as how much clearance should be left for painting, as I don't want to listen to a sticking sound every time the door is opened.

Thanks for any advice

Clive

Sponsored Links
Surely it's not that close a tolerance that 6 layers of paint make a difference? By the time the wood dries out to room humidity it will probably have shrunk sufficiently anyway.

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply, I guess it depends on how close the slamming strips are nailed onto the door jamb in relation to the door stile, ie the vertical slamming strip on the hinge side could be nailed on so it was touching the door stile before painting, and I have seen some of these that tight a fit causing the door to be hinge bound.

I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb clearance, no big deal though I’ll check the clearance off some rabbeted door frames.

Thanks again

Clive

Sponsored Links
fold up a bit of glass paper and then close the door onto it,then nail it and move the paper up and nail it again,do this all the way round the frame,you get the jist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back