Door won't open on my Hotpoint WT741

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine is almost 5 years old (Hotpoint WT741) but 2 days ago after a washing cycle the door won't open.

I searched a bit using google and looking in the manual and it says to check the filter pump. However the place where it says the filter pump should be is not correct. It says it should be behind the kickplate on the right hand side on the front. I removed the kickplate and there is only a red circular plate (about 4 inches diameter?) it has a picture of a hand and what looks like an elecricity symbol through the hand. If I remove this there is just a hole behind it. I had a good look into the hole with a torch but I can't see anything that looks like a pump or a filter.

I also tried removing the top and visually inspected the door interlock (I think it is this anyway) but there doesn't seem to be anything that can be moved in any way to release the door.

Can anyone help me locate the pump filter or make any other suggestions as to what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Any water in the drum, filter is at the back remove White cover look for a black cup with a jubilee clip round it

Any water in the drum, filter is at the back remove White cover look for a black cup with a jubilee clip round it

Many thanks, I'll check this evening. There is no water visible in the drum and it is quite light to move, although I guess there may be a little water under the level of the drum? Can you think of anything else it could be?

Sponsored Links
Remove the lid and reach down to the lock and flick over the catch or thread string round outer door trim and pull it to the left to release the lock.

Remove the lid and reach down to the lock and flick over the catch or thread string round outer door trim and pull it to the left to release the lock.

Many many thanks for all this - I did the string trick and it opened. I took the door apart and a bit had snapped off the catch mechanism. Do you know of a good online supplier of hotpoint parts? if not I will google.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back