Doors fitted and quite a few dents and bangs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had some oak veneer doors fitted by a carpenter and the doors have been fitted very well but there is quite a but of fairly deep dents to the architrave, bangs to the ceiling with the paint coming off, likewise with the walls and areas where we have wallpaper which has been scraped and damaged too. Probably about 3 or 4 noticeable areas of damage (which requires filling and painting) per door and I had 6 doors fitted.

The doors are fairly heavy about 25kg and I appreciate they are awkward to move about especially by yourself. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Like said I am very happy with the doors and if it just takes a few hours of filling and painting then I'm fine with that but I was just wondering what everyone else's experience have been with getting doors fitted and if This Is normal or not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From your description, there should be no damage whatsoever to the decor as a result of him fitting the doors not to the ceiling or anything else.

It maybe the recesses for the hinges might require a little work but it's a bit of a guess without images.......but from your description it doesn't sound good.

It is awkward moving doors into position and hanging them.

Its not surprising to get the odd dent -but I mean 1 or 2 on the whole job. -but usually that might be on the stairwell or a tight hallway.

Sounds like he was clumsy or in a rush.

25kg isnt particularly heavy for a door

Thanks for the replies. I suppose my hallway is fairly tight but I do live in a bungalow so no stairs. He's coming back next week to finish the handles on 3 of the doors and sand and varnish the doors which involve taking them off again! I'm a little concerned that I'm going to get more dents. Do I say anything? Obviously I'd like to think he would be careful anyway so not sure if saying anything is a good idea.

Does he need to make the damage right at all or do I just accept that i am just going to have a lot of making good to do once he has finished.

Sponsored Links
If the damage is noticeable and it was defiantly a result of having them doors fitted I would be asking him to make right or advise you will deduct the cost to make right.

Back