Doorways and bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably just me who is as thick as a brick

When I look at UPVC back doors a popular size seems to be 840mm wide. But when I look at bricks they are 215 wide and so with a 10mm mortar joint I cannot get 840 to be a round number of bricks in the gap.

890mm gives me a nice round number of bricks (four bricks wide with three mortar joints). 840 gives me three bricks and a nasty extra bit that doesn't look right.

Who makes the wrong size thing? The brick maker or the door maker?

Sponsored Links
A good few years ago, the plastic door makers realised that they can save £5 per door just my making it 840mm instead of 890mm.

This caused a lot of broken bricks - especially when bricks did not cut properly the first time, so there was lots of waste

There were complaints from builders and brick makers, but nothing got done.

There was talk of making the bricks smaller to fit the door frames, but then the window makers refused to make their windows smaller to suit smaller bricks, and so nothing actually got done

Typical, left hand not knowing what right hand is doing.

Door makers need to get out more and see what's on the streets. People aren't getting any smaller and instead of cutting 50mm off the width they should be adding it. But then that would make 940mm doors and my bricks would still not fit.

Been googling and some enterprising door company are making made to measure doors. They are the ones that deserve to thrive.

But I'd also like to see some company doing made to measure bricks so I can fit windows in too. I had a window made up that was 600mm wide. How am I expected to fit that into my wall? Made to measure bricks, that's the answer, somebody is going to make millions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back