Dormer extension - is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a house with a pitched roof and just a downstairs bathroom which is located off the kitchen along with a small utility area.

I have been looking into having an en suite put into the master bedroom and for one reason or another it looks like it is going to be quite expensive. As the en suite is in between the master and guest bedrooms and the guest bedroom is one where the roof pitch is apparent, with the eaves boxed in and currently used as storage I was thinking a dormer extension would free up space in the bedroom (3m x 1m) to be added to the proposed en suite to make a family bathroom. The one downstairs could then be knocked through to make a lovely large kitchen/diner.

My boyfriend thinks this is a stupid idea which would add no value to the house and cost a bomb. I think it would give the benefit of a ground floor extension but at a more reasonable cost and leaving the option to extend at a later date.

Does anyone know what the basic building cost would likely be of a 3mx1m dormer extension and the removal of three relatively small, but possibly load bearing walls? I already have quotes for the en suite, so I'm guessing a small bathroom would not cost too much more.

Apologies in advance if I am asking an impossible question.

Sponsored Links
Please dont apologise for asking a question. There are no stupid questions. There are however confusing questions, which is natural, given that you are not in the building trade.
1. i have no idea if what you propose would add value - perhaps an Estate Agent ( God help us ) could assist on that Q.
2. Quite a bit of structural work seems to be indicated - steel, wiring, plumbing and heating, brickwork and plastering, joinery and re-decoration. Not to mention a possible re-arrangement of the roof structure and covering.
3. Perhaps you could go on the long march of researching this forum and others to find similar propositions? Prices could vary wildly, depending on so many variables that i wouldn't hazard a guess.
4. If you are determined, then the research would throw up what info. you need to provide us with to help you. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back