Dormer Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dormer (about six feet wide) is leaking and it's obvious it needs a bit of TLC.

A local roofer quoted me £450 for the following work:

Refelt roof (I presume this includes bitumen and chippings - sorry if that's the wrong terminology).
Fit new UPVC coverings above, to the side and below the window and refit tiles to the sides of the dormer, replacing where necessary.

To my mind he'll incur about £100 of materials and four hours of labour at say £120. He'll then have his pubic liabililty insurance, vehicle maintenance etc and the cost of his apprentice (plus incidentals).

I don't begrudge anyone making a living but does this sound like a fair deal?

Sponsored Links
Four hours work for £350 quid? A GP with 11 years training only gets £50 per hour.

Personally I'd pay £450 just for the guy to go up the ladder but he'll have to stump up the £50 an hour if he falls off and needs a doctor!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Four hours work for £350 quid? A GP with 11 years training only gets £50 per hour.

Yeah but he has a nice warm office, works in a nice clean suit and isn't working in the freezing cold and rain and is more or less guaranteed 8 hours a day.

:)

I wasn't intending to start a 'he gets paid more than me' style of argument - merley trying to ascertain if I was being had over a barrel. Thanks Mw Roofline and joe-90.

It's intresting that most people have no problem paying a few hundred £ for a car service, or £60/h for repairs, but wince at spending half that for someone to risk their life and go up on the roof.

I would be grateful that the roofer is not following H&S regs and not putting any scaffold up - or you are looking at double that quote :eek:

No probs Eddie

I know what Joe is saying though. My bro is an electrician, I know how much he pays for his bits and how much he charges :eek:

He takes delivery of his new bmw M5 next month :cool:

He's damn good at his job though :cool: :D

^woody^ said:
It's intresting that most people have no problem paying a few hundred £ for a car service, or £60/h for repairs, but wince at spending half that for someone to risk their life and go up on the roof.

I would be grateful that the roofer is not following H&S regs and not putting any scaffold up - or you are looking at double that quote :eek:

I don't remember 'wincing' anywhere in my previous post and I didn't express an opinion regarding any other trade or the rates they charge. As stated I merley wanted to ensure that the charge was 'the going rate'.

In relation to H&S, the roofer has to make his own risk assesment in relation to the work in question. If he feels that scaffolding is required he must put that forward in his method statement and must ensure that his PL insurance covers him for the work in question. Oh - and then tell me he wants £500 for the scaffolding too!!

I'm really not trying to have an argument woody - just want to get the full facts. And Mw - my brother-in-law is an electrician too so I know what you mean.....

Sorry, I was not specifically refering to you, just generally on how people percieve roofing work.

Scaffolding is not an option. At the minimum, he will need edge fall protection for the dormer roof, and some sort of platform for working on the dormer cheeks and at the front of the dormer.

No one can work off a ladder any more

With regrds to the quote, that is a good price for this work

No worries woody. It's just a bit galling that this is on a rented property that is currently sold STC.

If only all of this had happened after the sale....

Thanks to everyone for their input. :D

^woody^ said:
No one can work off a ladder any more

With regrds to the quote, that is a good price for this work

I was watching a guy fix a dormer off a ladder about 3 weeks ago.

It's not a particularly good price.

Yes, and I watched someone speed past me at 90mph yesterday, and the day before I saw someone drop some litter.

I remember thinking that they weren't supposed to do it.

I saw 2 dogs poo in the same spot in the street.........it was a Pile up :eek: :p

eddie twadds said:
My dormer (about six feet wide) is leaking and it's obvious it needs a bit of TLC.

A local roofer quoted me £450 for the following work:

Refelt roof (I presume this includes bitumen and chippings - sorry if that's the wrong terminology).
Fit new UPVC coverings above, to the side and below the window and refit tiles to the sides of the dormer, replacing where necessary.

To my mind he'll incur about £100 of materials and four hours of labour at say £120. He'll then have his pubic liabililty insurance, vehicle maintenance etc and the cost of his apprentice (plus incidentals).

I don't begrudge anyone making a living but does this sound like a fair deal?

Right the roofer has now been back and the roof is in far worse condition than first thought.

The wooden framework to the sides is completely rotten so now the job is as follows:

Supply scaffold
Remove felt, flat roof, sides and rotten framework
Rebuild framework and reroof with marine ply or suitable water resistant material
UPVC cladding to front and all sides
Refelt and chippings
Lift tiles and re lay leadwork to the back and sides
Basically a whole new dormer - not including the window!!

All in for £980.00 - does that sound about right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back