Dormer window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dormer type window in the attic room of a Victorian house. A few days ago during the strong winds one of the four glass panes fell out! On inspection i found the woodwork of the entire front facing section to be in a poor condition, and will obviously need to be replaced. The room is unimproved/undecorated and is likely to stay that way and basically used as a junk room. My question is would it be best to go to a big firm, for example Anglian; looked at the website and all the windows look like something off the starship Enterprise, with prices to match no doubt. Or, will such firms do a simpler more basic product in keeping with what it is replacing? It does not need to be double glazed even as the room is not heated and I don't need something amazing looking because it will look so out of place in the room and with the other windows in the house, which are either older style wooden frame or original Victorian sash types. Basically, i'm after something basic but durable without fancy extras. Would an independant joiner and glazier be a better bet? Also its high up (effectively third floor) so i suppose its a scaffolding job, or can these be done internally?
Anyone with any experience of such things advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
personally i would replace with upvc. Try and find someone local who has been recommended All the work can be done from inside with pvc so no need for expensive scaffolding Remove rotten wood frame, fit new pvc frame, seal everything up outside then fit the glass last thing If you get the glass split into 4 sections with georgian bar then it will still look like the original but without the upkeep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back