Dot and dab marks on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to decorate the lounge but have noticed some marks on the wall.

After consulting with a neighbour we have come to the conclusion that these marks are from how the plasterboard was attached when the house was built (some 20 years ago) using the dot and dab method.

I guess my first question is, what has caused these marks to come through and should I worry about it? If the answer is "No", am I ok to just paint the wall as normal or should I seal the wall first by applying something like a PVA sealant.

Incidentally this hasn't happened on all the outside walls, just the downstairs lounge one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Has this wall been painted before?
Or is it bare plaster/plasterboard?

PVA probably won't be the answer.

PVA is NEVER the answer. Overpaint with oil based undercoat.

The wall has been painted before, the last time about 6 years ago. I'm worried it may be damp.

Sponsored Links
It probably is. Is it a wall that gets lots of weather?

I wouldn't say it gets a lot of weather but about 2 years ago the neighbours replaced rid of all their grass with shingle. I suspect they didn't put in adequate drainage, although they maintain they did.

It has been very noticeable this winter that that side of the garden is permanently boggy.

I've just been outside and checked the wall and the bottom brick and a half are wet although I'm not sure if that's only because of the wet weather we've been having.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back