Dot and dab on external wall with wrong adhesive - nightmare in the making?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've dabbed on two moisture resistant plasterboards on an external window wall of my Victorian property's bathroom which I intend to tile over. The wall is composed of two layers of brick without a cavity and was primed with one coat of PVA. Everything's solid - I used a generous amount of dab all the way along the borders and the center at intervals of ~70mm. I've now discovered that it's a bad idea to dab an external wall because of the possibility of cold bridging. I've also discovered that I'm not supposed to be using Knauf Plasterboard Adhesive with moisture panels for which I've had to get in touch with them this morning and am waiting a detailed reply - they suggested I should've used "better contact adhesive". I haven't yet tiled over it (tiles are 12kg/sqm) or attached the shower tray to this wall and I've yet to apply the waterproof membrane.

When I removed the original tiles from the wall they were totally solid as was the plaster (skim + plasterboard + maybe another skim) except from the area above the bath. The room is usually quite warm and takes in a great deal of sunlight up until around 4pm. Is it possible that my waterproof membrane will help stop condensation if generously applied or will the water just end up ruining the tile adhesive? Will I have better luck studding the plasterboard?

Attached are the before and after - the plaster on the first picture was totally removed.

EDIT: recieved a call from Knauf who told me that I should used mechanical fixings in addition to adhesive but they can't give me a specific reason why I can't use the adhesive with moisture boards. Will probably email and wait for follow-up.

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_142245.jpg
    IMG_20230625_142245.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230823_141354.jpg
    IMG_20230823_141354.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230823_141400.jpg
    IMG_20230823_141400.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can't dot and dab on a solid wall, unless you want problems. Simple as.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back