Double convector radiators or plain doubles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be replacing the radiators and boiler in my house during a complete renovation. The current radiators are double panels.

I understand the science behind double rads with double convector fins but will these cost more to run?
Or should I just replace with double panels - like for like?

Any advice would be great.
Jack

Sponsored Links
I think all rads are convectors now

I'm not sure you do understand the science. They have a higher out put but that doesn't mean they use more energy. You will use less energy and may even require smaller rads, but I prefer to use larger rads and set the system up correctly and use load compensation controls.

I'm sure your gas safe registered installer will advise you

Jack, read your post again.

What is the difference between a plain double panel radiator and a double panel convector radiator. In particular look at the HEAT OUTPUT figures. If you mean will the new radiator if dimentionally equal, cost more to run, you can bet your bottom dollar, if you have a dollar left after you have heated your house and you are now sitting in your underpants since it is WAY TOO HOT the gas bills will be heavy..

I trust you are not going to instal the system and boiler yourself if you are asking such elementary question.

A panel radiator emits heat from its surface. Adding fins increases the surface area so NOW the NEW radiator DOES NOT need to be same dimentions as the old radiator except for the HEAT output

Hi
Double panel/double convector will throw out more heat than just double panel and therefore rooms should reach temp quicker and activate trv or room stat. In theory cheaper to run. They are more expensive to buy though. Unless you have very large rooms they are a but overkill to be honest so if your defo going for them make sure u put a trv on the majority. There are loads of online rad calculators for you to get the right size rad for each room.
Regards

Sponsored Links
Jack, read your post again.

What is the difference between a plain double panel radiator and a double panel convector radiator. In particular look at the HEAT OUTPUT figures. If you mean will the new radiator if dimentionally equal, cost more to run, you can bet your bottom dollar, if you have a dollar left after you have heated your house and you are now sitting in your underpants since it is WAY TOO HOT the gas bills will be heavy..

Maybe if he has no controls.

I have oversized double convectors downstairs and oversized singles upstairs
My house get hot quick and maintains the temp easily. I pay £35 per month to heat a 3 bed semi and am in credit by around £100

I will be adding TRV's to the rads.

I understand that convector fins add surface area providing more heat and being able to replace the rad for a smaller one.

But if I had 2 rads of different dimensions but with similar BTU outputs due to the smaller one having convector fins will they still cost the same to run or will the difference be minimal?

Or am I thinking about this too hard to save a small amount of money?

As mentioned there are many heat loss calculators online that will calculate the size you need

My advise would be to fit larger radiators than required, fit TRVs and fit weather compensation or load compensation controls. Rather than a regular thermostat (on/off) they communicate with the boiler to allow it to modulate and adjust its flow temperature to suit the requirement, this is where you will see you savings
As an example Vaillant offer
Vrc 470 which monitors inside and outside temps
Vrc 392 which monitors inside temperature
Most manufactuers offer this type Of controls
And don't buy a cheap boiler or use the cheapest installer overtime you will save money from having a good system installed properly

A bang on the head is what the wife will be getting is she thinks I am looking after a jet lagged 3 year old at 5 tomorrow morning.

The OP just needs to chill :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back