Double decker - dryer on top of washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What considerations should I give in order to install a tumble dryer on top of a washing machine which will be in a laundry area of a first floor bathroom?

Also, how does one put the dryer on top?

Sponsored Links
Some manufacturers made / may still make a stacking kit for their appliances.
Otherwise build a shelf above the washing machine and put the tumble dryer on it.

Sponsored Links
That's what I was thinking but can it take the weight?

Tumble driers weigh very little compared to washers.. And it would be far better to have it on a shelf than bouncing around atop the washer, getting shaken to pieces

Your house is new build, maybe aim to design the cupboard hat the appliances are in so that its little more than appliance width, and the shelf can be as simple as some 3x2 supported between either side wall of he appliance cupboard

What considerations should I give in order to install a tumble dryer on top of a washing machine which will be in a laundry area of a first floor bathroom?
Obviously the floor beneath should be able to take the weight of both appliance and be stable, the total height for both appliance should be available, provisions for the additional electrical plug/connection should be made, some dryers require external condensation outlets or traps, some self condense but access maybe required to empty any trap.
I assume you already have electrics for washer, drain/trap and water supply?
Also, how does one put the dryer on top?
You can purchase a stacking kit, that supports the dryer on the top of washer and has straps to retain it. You may have to check compliance with the appliances.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=washer dryer stacking kit

Tumble driers weigh very little compared to washers.. And it would be far better to have it on a shelf than bouncing around atop the washer, getting shaken to pieces

Definately good advice. And if the washing machine needs to be moved out for servicing you ( or the service technician ) wil not want to be lifting the drier off the washing machjne

Take into consideration position of sockets or isolators so the power can easily be turned off to each of these machines.

Also take into account the proximity of these appliances to the bath or shower.

A washing machine which will be in a laundry area of a first floor bathroom?
It will need to be a type designed to be used in a bathroom and the socket needs to be 3 meters from the edges of the bath or shower. It is had to comply with British regulations when fitting non bathroom items in a bathroom.

We get into when is a room not a room and what is required to make it not accessible without a tool or key. I am not saying it can't be fitted into a bathroom but the loops and hoops you need to jump through means it is not easy.

Tumble driers weigh very little compared to washers.
Indeed so.
.... And it would be far better to have it on a shelf than bouncing around atop the washer, getting shaken to pieces
A theoretical consideration, I suppose, but, FWIW, for the last 35+ years I've always had dryers stacked directly on top of WMs (using 'stacking kits', which I'm sure are still available), and I have never had any problem with a dryer "getting shaken to pieces". Indeed, I cannot recall ever having had a dryer fail in any way - they seem to go on for ever and outlive WMs many times over.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, I cannot recall ever having had a dryer fail in any way - they seem to go on for ever and outlive WMs many times over.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe it's just the ****ty hotpoints that we've had over the years with their lose motor mounts, broken drum sliders and case screws that have worked loose and dropped out.. And that's without being stacked on top of the washer. Not that I'm saying you're wrong; don't doubt your mileage varies. In fact the only broken washer I can recall was one where the motor commutator had overheated and expanded out of round, ruining the brushes. Every other one we've had has been faultless or ruined by some foreign object

I should check whether the missus tumble dries shoes after she puts them through the washer

Indeed, I cannot recall ever having had a dryer fail in any way - they seem to go on for ever and outlive WMs many times over.
Maybe it's just the ****ty hotpoints that we've had over the years with their lose motor mounts, broken drum sliders and case screws that have worked loose and dropped out.. And that's without being stacked on top of the washer. Not that I'm saying you're wrong; don't doubt your mileage varies.
Several of my dryers, including my present one (which is currently about 7 years old), have been Hotpoints - so it's definitely a case of mileage varying - particularly given that all mine have been potentially "shaken to pieces" on top of a WM!
In fact the only broken washer I can recall was one where the motor commutator had overheated and expanded out of round, ruining the brushes.
Varying mileage again! Over the years we've had plenty of problems with WMs - the drum bearings on Hotpoints having been a significant issue!

Kind Regards, John

I also have Hotpoint appliances, and they are stacked. Been that way for about 10 years ago, the WM did need replacing about 6 years ago, an irreparable internal leak (it was 15 years old).
But the Dryer has been going strong over that period, even after two house moves. So I suspect the dryer don't mind the whole lotta shakin that is going on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back