Double DPC? Being bluffed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of buying a new house, it's currently nearing the end of construction. I dropped in today to check progress and have some........ Reservations! Driveway has been laid and seems to come up flush with the DPC, I believe this should have 150mm clearance, they mentioned they used double DPC

Sponsored Links
DSC_1550.JPG

I don't know the answer but I think it is to do with achieving level thresholds so it might not be neccessarily wrong.

It is nice to see a door entrance with no step. You can see the block paving is directing the water away too, it looks good.

I know they are building all for wheelchair access. I've asked if the side near the garage and either side of front door should be a drain

Sponsored Links
They normally stick a tray in with weepholes and sometimes another DPC 2 courses above. There are usually weepholes just above ground level.

Blimey, drive laid and it's not even plastered.

I wonder what's happened to the other air bricks below dpc?

They normally stick a tray in with weepholes and sometimes another DPC 2 courses above. There are usually weepholes just above ground level.
I think I can see weep holes just at ground level (above gulley and 2 bricks to the right) but could be wrong

They've come back and said they are going to install an additional aco drain down the side wall between front door and garage and that the front wall does have a second DPC

I hope its not built by the big 6

If it is, you might by moving into snag street.

The airbricks usually seen below the floor level are to ventilate the void beneath suspended timber floors. It is rare to see those on new builds now due to the difficulty in achieving the necessary U value in a floor with a ventilated void. Cavity weep vents have replaced the function of the air bricks used in early cavity walls where they were customary, these frequently were unsleeved, reducing their efficiency as a means of ventilating under the floor but making a sound job of helping heat escape from early cavity walls. Presumably the build shown meets the new Part M accessibility regs and ramping has been created to facilitate this. I'm still uneasy about the fact the ground appears to breach the DPC without any visible sign of a 2nd 150mm from ground to overcome water splashing back breaching the damp course, unless there is some kind of vertical damp barrier preventing water ingress. There must be some new fangled building system to facilitate these level thresholds as they are now mandatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back