Double Glazing - am I being fleeced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive just had a quote from Anglian Windows to replace 8 windows, a front door and a pair of French doors, the quote ive been given is a "smashing offer" down from the original price of £19K to £7200.

The windows and doors are as follows;

Master Bedroom 1 - 1200 x 1200
Master Bedroom 2 - 1200 x 1200
Front Bedroom - 960 x 1800
Rear Bedroom - 960 x 1900
Bathroom - 750 x 1800 (Frosted Glass)
Landing - 900 x 1700
Kitchen - 950 x 950
Fanlight - 950 x 430
Standard front door in Blue with frosted glass
French doors - 1800 x 2050

The quoted price of £7200 includes removing the old windows and door and applying DPC to the old Sash Boxes (4 in total at £1200)

Is this quote within the ballpark or am I being fleeced?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Anglian Windows are renowned or putting massively overpriced quotes in. Go find some local window fitters and get at least a further 2 quotes in.
I recall when doing a property up a few years ago, that Anglian Windows came to quote on the job and had finalised a price of around the £10k mark.
This was for a bay window, standard front door, patio door, plus a further a five mixed sized windows.
I actually got them done for £3600.00 by a local qualified/registered window fitter.

Sponsored Links
And now they have your contact details you will be contacted by every single department of Anglian offering you deals on everything they sell for years!

You want a local firm. Preferably with recommendations from friends and family

Are they replacing the old vertical sliders with upvc vertical sliders or just top hung windows

I've just had them round for a quote on a patio door. Their's was one of three quotations I had, listed below:-

(ascending order):
£900.00
£1093.37
£2312.80

Guess which is the Anglian quote. It's actually more than the other two combined! How can they fleece people like this? More worryingly, why are they still in business? To be honest, I'm actually quite insulted by the Anglian corporation, and saddened for the girl having to sit there putting forward this fantastic price whilst keeping a straight face.

You can believe the salesperson about as much as you can believe everything you read in the papers. On that basis you should find a way of double checking all the important facts and information given to you that are relative to your personal reasons for buying, or for not buying.

Think about this if you are being given the 'spiel':

It is quite normal in our industry for the salesperson to be on no basic salary, no holiday pay, no statutory sick pay, no holiday pay, no car or telephone expenses, and no retainer. Income is solely derived from earning 10% commission of everything sold, on a self employed basis; a sort of 'no win - no fee' incentive to make sales.

On sales made from enquiries generated by the salesperson themselves, like door knocking, etc., the commission paid could easily be 17.5% of what you spend, on the same basis as above.

Worse still - the salesperson could be paid just 2% commission on a sale made at what the company wants as it's 'correct' (also known as 'base') price, and then up to 60% sales commission of any overpricing achieved on any orders won.

YOU PAY £500 OVER THE TOP, AND THE SALESPERSON COULD GET AN EXTRA £300 OUT OF WHAT YOU WERE OVERCHARGED!!!

Unfortunately some people do get ripped off at the initial over-priced quote, but even more get taken in by fake discounts, which is all part of the scam.

LITTLE WONDER THAT THE PRICE YOU ARE INITIALLY QUOTED STARTS OFF BEING LUDICROUSLY HIGH, AND THEN SEVERAL FAKE DISCOUNTS ARE PROFFERED, ALL IN AN ATTEMPT NOT ONLY TO SIMPLY SELL TO YOU, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY TO SELL TO YOU AS OVERPRICED AS POSSIBLE.

PRICE YOU ARE INITIALLY QUOTED STARTS OFF BEING LUDICROUSLY HIGH
Do you mean like this, crank?
anglian.jpg

The "discount" I received is in the green circle. The "base" cost was £3535.28. Three and a half thousand quid for a 1500mm wide sliding patio door in plain white uPVC. Perhaps it was white gold covered in transparent uPVC. I think that might be fair price though as she said there was no recycled uPVC in the frame, unlike other suppliers. It was all new UK made uPVC. That's all right then.

As a Gold account member, I could of had the two thousand quid at the budget rate of 35% APR over five years. The blood pressure's rising again...

Anglian Windows reps also make a commision on selling the Finance deals too, they hate cash sales!

All the points Crank makes are reasons to go Local companies , as their salesman are normally employed by the company. I do most of the selling in our company and I hate the idea of pressure selling and earning on commision only .... I'd tell the company to stick it if they went down that line!

And I get haggled when I price patio doors at £850-950 fitted with Fensa certificate :LOL:

I hate the way the big company's pressurize people as it makes me worry about the vulnerable people out there but I do love to quote after they have been first.

And I get haggled when I price patio doors at £850-950 fitted with Fensa certificate :LOL:

I hate the way the big company's pressurize people as it makes me worry about the vulnerable people out there but I do love to quote after they have been first.

Last week I priced up an inline slider for my brother as his 15 year old Ali with hardwood subframe is rotten, 1800 x 2100, I can get it for £428, I've given him all my discount and put nothing on it and said I'd even fit it for free, he's fine with that and told me to get on with it but his Mrs halted it and said she'd feel more comfortable getting a few more quotes, I explained she won't get it cheaper than that fitted but she wouldn't have it. I told her the spec, what to ask for etc etc and left her to it, she then had the cheek to ring me and say she wasn't comfortable in getting more quotes because she didn't understand all the terminology and would I be prepared to shop around for her effectively trying to beat my own price which was a trade price I'm not charging any for fitting, you couldn't make it up, needless to say I've left them to it

selling the Finance deals
Yes, my awfully friendly Anglian rep tried that too. Anglian finance through a third party called Hitachi Capital. This is a classic ploy to break the chain of responsibility between a supplier and a customer. Anglian get fully paid as soon as the work is complete. You then end up paying Hitachi for up to 96 months(!). If anything goes wrong, you're screwed as you're now stuck in the middle of two companies, one that's got it's money and no longer cares, and one that doesn't install windows but you are contractually obliged to keep paying.

God's honest truth - She didn't know what APR was. She told me that it was "the maximum that they might charge, but they never actually do that!"

****achi Crapital - I had the great misfortune to have a Citroen on contract lease through them . Totally unhelpful when it went wrong (regularly)
I refuse to do business with companies who give a price and then offer fantastic discounts. I tell them to make their first and final offer and then leave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back