Double glazing gaps see daylight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought my brothers room was cold so I tightened up the crew in the handle hoping it would pull the window in tighter when shut but when I stood back and looked today I could actually see daylight. It's like when I pull it shut the top right hand side pushes back out creating a gap. Is this an easy fix?

Sponsored Links
Faulty hinge by the look of it, if you open the window and look in the top corners you will see a V shaped cup on the frame portion of the hinge and a sharp point type thingy on the opener, this fits into the cup when closing just at the point when it goes out of sight, take a careful look here when closing to make sure this is happening, with worn/faulty hinges the point rides on the outside of the cup and not in it causing a gap across the top

I get exactly that issue too - I have the older style Aluminium double glazed windows and the V cup that you talk about has basically been sheered away by the pointy bit on the window. It won't now pull the window back into the frame fully. Is there any way of replacing this V cup or fixing the issue without replacing the entire window?

Sponsored Links
Absolutely no need to replace the window, the hinges can be replaced but can be a bit fiddly, the thing with ali windows is they are probably pop riveted on; not a great problem but a bit of a faf compared to pvc where they have self tapping screws

Google 'friction hinges' to see your options, they come in different lengths and stack heights so you'll need to measure what you have, ignore the fixing holes as every different make of hinge is different, one thing you might need to consider is whether you need or want to upgrade to egress hinges (fire escape)

Thanks very much ill google them now. If they're pop riveted which I think they are from memory, can I replace with self tapping with the new hinges?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back