Double glazing with a metal frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my old property I have a ground floor wooden framed window. The frame itself is sturdy and sound. But the wood around the small windows have deteriorated and need frequent maintenance. I would like to replace all the wood with double glazing. However I don't fully trust the lintel.

Is it possible to have double glazing with a frame that is made of plastic covered metal that the uPVC would fit into?

I can support the lintel with an Acrow prop whilst it is being fitted.

Sponsored Links
Plastic nor aluminium windows should never be relied upon as structural, the frames should not touch the lintel but have roughly a 5-10mm gap, your lintel should be taking all of the weight not the window

That is a good point you make crank39 about the lintel. But just to be on the safe side the metal frame I was thinking about would be a thick steel box section square tube across the top and at the sides. To which the uPVC panel would be fixed.

In my old property I have a ground floor wooden framed window. The frame itself is sturdy and sound. But the wood around the small windows have deteriorated and need frequent maintenance. I would like to replace all the wood with double glazing. However I don't fully trust the lintel.

Is it possible to have double glazing with a frame that is made of plastic covered metal that the uPVC would fit into?

I can support the lintel with an Acrow prop whilst it is being fitted.
It would be more helpful to find out why you don’t trust the lintel.

lots of houses don’t even have lintels and never fail if there is enough brickwork above locked together.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Notch7. The outside wall is pebble dash applied many years ago. On the inside wall from the images, you can see a lintel above the window. It's 2 1/2" thick and has a sloping end to it. It's probably concrete. The other end can't be seen so clearly but scraping away the emulsion a hairline crack is evident in the sloping part. Perhaps a helical spiral bar above the existing lintel would be a better bet than my steel box square tubel idea.

20231030_085137_resized.jpg20231030_085308_resized.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back