double insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to insure my new car for when I pick it up.
I'm not getting it until tuesday but they are taxing it for me on their insurance in the meantime.
If I insure it effective immediately will there be any problems with the DVLA by having it effectively insured twice?

Sponsored Links
Just tell your insurance company when you are picking it up, they normally insure you from 12.01am from that day

I don't think so. When I was last buying a bike, I insured the one I had my eye on, then didn't buy it (someone else did) and I later transferred it.

Even if it did get spotted, you would have a perfectly sensible explanation for the overlap, and I'm sure this happens a lot on buying/selling vehicles.

Are you insuring it in case it gets stolen or damaged while at the garage?

BTW you said taxed, but surely mean insured?

BTW you said taxed, but surely mean insured?

Probably means taxed John - the garage will be taxing it for him as part of 'the deal' but you can't tax a car that doesn't have valid insurance, at least third party so they'll add the car to their insurance to allow them to tax it.

As static said, can you not just ask your insurance company to start your cover on the day you plan to pick it up? In any case, I wouldn't have thought (but it is only my thought) the DVLA would have an issue with a car being insured twice?

Sponsored Links
no I meant what I said..

it's not taxed as they traded in the tax on it because it's on their lot for an undetermined length of time.

so it needs to be taxed and the easiest way is for them to get it.
it's covered under their trade insurance.

I have insurance on my old van and it's not worth stopping it for week so I'll just transfer it.. ( knowing my luck the day i transfer it, my van will spontaneously combust on the drive where it's currently SORN until I scrap it )

Just tell your insurance company when you are picking it up, they normally insure you from 12.01am from that day

Do as static says, then your van's insured until that date and your car will be insured for you when you pick it up.
I think there could be a problem with two insurances, as there is on buildings.
Double insurance, double claims!

I've already got it set up that way, just waiting until midnight on the day I plan to collect it.
I was asking incase I have a delay in picking it up... ( you never know.. )

I have bought 1 or 2 cars, and I have never insured them prior o picking up, on one occasion there was not even any road tax, the garage owner told me it would be ok for me to drive it back.

Thinking about it now, I must have been lucky... next time I will assure that the car is road compliant has MOT, Road Tax and Insurance, do not want a fine or another 3 points and to loose my license.

:cool: I do not think it will be a problem to have double insurance, I have had the same with household insurance with two running at the same time, my excuse is I just could not be bothered to ring the insurance company to cancel one.

You can have as many insurance policies as you like on any thing you like. They,ll take your money. However or but, you are only allowed to claim on one of them for the same reason. So, all the others are no good!

You can have as many insurance policies as you like on any thing you like. They,ll take your money. However or but, you are only allowed to claim on one of them for the same reason. So, all the others are no good!

exactly the case you can only claim the value off an item

iff you are under insured on one policy you may be able to make it up on the other policy but you must tell both insurance companys and let them sort it out otherwise it will be fraud/theft to get more than an items value

You can be double insured on anything but if the companies know there is double or even triple insurance they will only pay a part of the claim.
If you are under-insured they will only pay a proportion equivalent to the percentage of under insurance. You cannot claim the difference off another policy for the same item. If you try it will register with the fraud section, (an independent body not affiliated to any insurance company), and you could face prosecution.

Sponsored Links
Back