Double of lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already took some advice on this before but I wanted to double check it is correct.

I was adding a light to the upstairs lighting circuit. I installed a new switch and then the light. The nearest ceiling rose didn't contain a live so I used a permanent live from a switch and the neutral from the ceiling rose. Laid out as shown in the image. Where the live isn't used I just trimmed it back inside the grey sheathing.

IMAG0959.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't know the layout obviously but as long as it's all done properly then, yes as long as it's all on the same circuit.

You should not have cut off the unused wires.
It wouldn't be a live if you haven't used it (being picky)
Have you done the same with the unused wire in the other cable?

You could have connected it to earth or used both together for the Live (and Neutral supply).

(the permanent live is the loop)

Thanks. I think I just bent back the unused neutral from the switch where I borrowed the permanent live.

Yes it's all on the upstairs lighting circuit. And sorry I didn't understand the bit about connecting to earth etc?

Unused wires should be connected to the CPC (earth wire) - at both ends obviously.

This way, anyone working on it later will see that.
Your cut off wire could be live.

Sponsored Links
As it is a ceiling light upstairs it's not much hassle for me to correct that either so may do that before re boarding the loft :) or is it worth buying some single neutral/live cable?

Okay thanks, I will terminate correctly when I'm next free :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back