Double pole fused switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a dble pole fused switch to isolate a power shower in the bathroom. There already is one fitted outside which I assume is for the electric heater. The qustion is can I just take a spur from this switch and connect it to a new Dble pole switch and then connect it to my shower?

Sponsored Links
There already is one fitted outside which I assume is for the electric heater.
"Assume"?

Don't you know??

The qustion is can I just take a spur from this switch and connect it to a new Dble pole switch and then connect it to my shower?
How is the existing FCU connected to the socket circuit?

So what would I need to do, could I just add my shower to the switch that is already there and have two appliances connected to the same switch?

Sponsored Links
The shower should be on its own circuit cable/protective device selected depending on the size of the shower

I was assuming that "power shower" meant a pump, in which case there's no need for a separate circuit.

Surely nobody who knows so little about electrics that they thought an instant heat shower could go an FCU would be daft enough to think they should do electrical work?

Sorry about the delay...It is a Mira Vigour Power shower with the pump built in...The FCU is connected as follows...2 N in 1N out...2L in 1 L out. When I say I assume it's the Heater I only say this as that's the only other electrics in toilet (although heater has been removed and wired socket remains) The old power shower which was here when I moved in was connected to a plug and plugged into a socket in the kitchen. (the wire was fed through the wall to the kitchen)

Cheers

So am I right in thinking at the moment you have a FCU on a ring final circuit with a connection on the load side to a disused cable (originally connected to a heater)?

The answer to whether you can connect the power shower to the FCU will depend several things, including:

1. What is the load of the power shower?
2. What is the cable size/route from load side of FCU to the old heater point where you want to connect?
3. What is the protective device for the ring final circuit containing the FCU?
4. Any RCD protection for this ring final circuit at present?

Without the answers to these questions to start with no-one will be able to give you any form of definitive answer. ;)

Hi there

The shower electrical guide states the shower is 240V @50HZ to be connected via a dbl pole fused switch 3AMP fuse. recommend 2.5mm 2 cable although 1mm 2 is acceptable...

The shower max load is 150W...All the circuits are protected by circuit breakers...Very sensitive if a light bulb blows the breaker kicks in..

The connections to the current FCU are grey twin and earth 2.5mm 2.

bongos said:
3. What is the protective device for the ring final circuit containing the FCU?
4. Any RCD protection for this ring final circuit at present?
Taylortwocities said:
Any supplementary bonding in the bathroom
Any RCD protection on any other bathroom circuit
OK we're half way there now :LOL:. But what about the answers to the above? It does sound as if it may be possible...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back