Double socket removal

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date

2scoops0406

Our kitchen has been altered in such a way that the kitchen sink now located under a double socket, now I know that you are not allowed to have electrical sockets within 1 or 1.5? metres of the sink (can't imagine why ;)) So the sparky we got in at the time removed the socket, and reconnected the ring by using a 30 amp chock block, and electrical insulating tape, (cowboyish if you ask me). Now I have a tiler coming in soon to alter the tiling but I need to make it possible to tile over where the socket was, obviously you can tile directly over a hole !

What I proposed to do is remove the chock block, and the original metal socket box, and rejoin the ring using a 30amp Junction box. My quandary is this, I think I read somewhere on these forums that it is not permissable / advisable to plaster over a junction box (I can imagine why!), so what is the best way to proceed.

I don't really have the luxury of removing the entire cable and replacing completely which of course would be the ideal way to do this. Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Well - you hired the cowboy...

Anyway - if the join isn't going to be accessible, and tiled over isn't, then it must be a crimped joint, not a JB.

These cables are not in capping?

If they are, you can thread a new piece through.

Capping? this the same as conduit? if so no I dont think so. BTW, I didn't hire him, he was subcontracted in by the builder :(

Sponsored Links
If you switch off power, remove the socket and tug the end of the cable is it stuck fast, or does it move to and fro?

Confess I haven't tried but 10:1 it'll be embedded in plaster, if so, what about this crimping malarkey? I'm glad I asked now, I want to ensure its safe. Old thingy "old house" sounds like he's gonna fry himself. I suppose you can only do your best :(

if you have easy access to the underfloor space (we have loose floorboards in the unerstairs cupboard for this and the cables both come sown there iw ould cut them under the floor and join them with a junction box

ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
what about this crimping malarkey?
Do a search here for crimps, crimping etc

I did a quick search, but it was quick, I'll have a more detailed look later. Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the floor is solid concrete so can't go down that avenue

Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
what about this crimping malarkey?
Do a search here for crimps, crimping etc
I did a quick search, but it was quick, I'll have a more detailed look later. Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the floor is solid concrete so can't go down that avenue
i did a search too..to learn a bit more..but couldn't get a result..
is there another term for this please.

mrcrow said:
Odd - I just ran this search:

1094758864_screenshot2.jpg

and found 50 topics...

Right, searched for crimping info on the site. A couple of questions, how do actually crimp the cables, is it a case of shoving the sheathed cores into the crimps and then crimping them? Should the crimped cables be in some sort of box? Is this going to be waterproof, bearing mind I intend to plaster over the join? Thanks.

One small question.

How do you propose to get a good sound connection between the conductors if you crimp the "sheathed cores"?

I don't know, hence the question.I'm probably asking the wrong questions, but in a nutshell, what I may need to do is join two ring main cables together and burying them in the wall without causing problems later. I just want to do the job safely. Many thanks.

ban-all-sheds said:
mrcrow said:
Odd - I just ran this search:
and found 50 topics...

so did i...i got a different page to search with originally and didnt scroll down enough to see the sub headings..
the page i got now is the one you show..thanks..
better start reading up on it..
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back