Double to single oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removed a Belling double oven from built in unit to find two heavy duty twin and earth cables coming out of the wall. These were both connected to the same connectors on the rear of the oven. ie red/red, black/black etc.I only expected to see one cable!.

Will it be ok to wire up the new single oven in the same way as the double was connected. I have a switched cooker control unit/with 13a socket which has a separate fused switch.

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely. Your new single oven PROBABLY only requires a 13 amp supply. The circuit you are connecting it to is likely to be fused at 32 or 40 amps. You must provide adequate fusing for it. Normally this is done by using a plug and socket (where the plug contains a 13 amp fuse)

Are you sure one of these cables does not go to feed the hob.
Is the hob electric?
If yes where does the supply come from?

Many thanks for the info guys.

On further investigation I found that one lead goes to the Cooker Control Panel and the other to the 6.7Kw Hob. Both cables are 6mm. Consumer unit is the old type with wire fuses 30amp. How the fuse has lasted this long with this hob rating and a double oven is beyond me.

New single oven arrived today rated 2.2Kw. Manufacturer says it has to be hard wired. So it cant go into the 13a socket on the cooker control panel as the circuit would be overloaded. New 13a socket for oven needed

Looks like its a job for an Electrician if I can find one!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You will be fine putting the oven on your existing cooker circuit, make sure you read the manufacturers instructions on protection ratings and if nessacery put a FCU between the cooker circuit and the oven (MK claim you can get 2 6mm cables in the supply terminals of thier FCUs).

Ovens and hobs rarely draw thier full rated power and when they do they don't tend to do it for very long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back