Doubled up 8x2 or a single 8x4?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any advantage/disadvantage of using either?

I need to double up some joists around a new opening this coming weekend, they stock the 8x2 and can get the 8x4 in for me on Thursday. There isn't much difference in the cost.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be easier to manhandle the 8x2, and then bolt them together; more than acceptable.

Thanks again Doggit!!

Daft thing was their 8x2 ends up at 44mm and they only do 50 and 100mm hangers.

I've seen 88mm ones online (with a big postage cost) or 91mm ones at screwfix.

If I use the doubled 8x2's and 91mm hanger, could I/would I put a 3mm spacer between the timbers to properly fill the hanger?

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
I doubled up the 8x2's and used one of the M12 washers as a spacer. It worked well, thanks!!

How many bolts did you use per beam, and how far apart were they. Obviously, 2 beams that are just side by side won't be as strong as a double width beam would be. Nice trick with the washers; very creative thinking.

I used 4 bolts over 2.4mtrs and put some of those ninja star grippers between them.

I enjoy working with wood, much better than plasterboard!!

I've given up using the star grippers, as I find they push the joists slightly apart, but apart from that small comment, I cannot fault your work 1990, so well done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back