Doubts about workmanship-plastering to internal brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had damp on the inside of an external brick wall and called in a builder to treat wall and replaster. cost £1200.
He has hacked off plaster up to 3/4 up wall and put in a damp proof course and replastered up to the join.
He did not undo sockets but plastered round them. I hinted that the whole wall should be reskimmed for a flat finish but he informed me this is unneccessary and left a zig zag finish at the join to prevent cracking. but it is not a smooth finish to the join. He is due back tomorrow to finish off putting skirting board on etc.
I am unsure that this is best practice and have lost faith in him. Can anyone please advise. He's not been payed yet, and I have had a word with another builder who would be prepared to skim wall quite cheaply.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a shoddy job to me, although it would have to be seen in real time,,, but o plaster around the sockets, rather than loosen them off, and do a proper job, gives us a clue about the man's lack of quality. It is also better after having patching an area of wall, to bond and skim the whole wall, gives a much neater finish, and for £1200.00 quid overall, I would tell him you want it done that way.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for your help. I think I will confront him tomorrow a.m. If he argues then I am tempted to hold back £200 to cover cost of someone else to reskim & hope he doesnt get nasty.

Sponsored Links
In his quotation he should have told you of the scar line and offered you the alternative to bond and skim the wall from floor to ceiling.

I confronted him and said I was unhappy with the way it had been done and that it was not as I expected. After much protesting he agreed to skim the wall rather than take a cut in money. He did it and replaced a socket that he'd damaged. He left rather disgruntled. The wall not perfect but much improved and I am prepared to leave it at that. The only concern is if the damp-proofing etc was done properly as this was not overseen. No guarantees so will just have to hope for the best.!!.
Thanks for all your help.

how could he charge you 1200 quid and not give a guarantee to the work he carried out?

How come you gave him 1200 without a written guarantee for the work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back