down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for bringing an old thread back alive, but i am doing the same job, fitting downlights to a top floor flat, the problem i have is that i want to board out the loft which would cover the downlights, would this cause problems? should i put in fire covers for peace of mind or would thid cause the lights to get even hotter?

Thanks

Murray.

DON'T hi jack old posts
your post has been split

Sponsored Links
Please stop putting in downlights.

It is nigh-on ipossible to do so and comply with all the relevant regulations for the price those who want them are prepared to pay.

That's all, please stop it.

If I may ask a question Dingbat?, do you fit downlights if thats what the client insists they want?, or do you make sure that it is not a service you provide and they should get someone else into quote?

dingbat said:
Please stop putting in downlights.

It is nigh-on ipossible to do so and comply with all the relevant regulations for the price those who want them are prepared to pay.

That's all, please stop it.

GU10 CFLs - the solution to everyone's worries ;)

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Can you get dimmable ones?
Mr Negativity.

Why dont they make Downlights with integral control gear for controlling fluorescent GU10s, eliminating the need for such expensive lamps - the lamp would be just that, a lamp, with the control gear hidden in the ceiling. Obviously the lamp would need a slightly different base, but this is the only drawback - they'd have to design a new shape anyway.

And this way, they could make dimmable control gear, ban!

OOI, i saw someone replacing a 4-tube ballast today. It was half the size of the old one! (both electronic ballasts) :eek: I asked him if he was from the same company that changes bulbs - he said yes, so i showed him a couple more lights that had gone out since his last visit 2 weeks ago (when he discovered said faulty ballast and changed 20 tubes), and he said "oh, i dont carry lamps in the van" :eek: what a dreadfully inefficient process.

Adam_151 said:
If I may ask a question Dingbat?, do you fit downlights if thats what the client insists they want?

I put in a price that means I can afford to do the job properly, supplying decent quality fire/acoustic-rated luminaires. I won't install customer-supplied cwap from the local shed. Usually the price (around £60 per point) is enough to put them off.

Fortunately, I don't often get asked - the majority of fad-followers tend to install their own fire hazards because they've seen that cabbage Billy do it on DIY-SOS... so it must be easy (innit?). ;)

didthathurt said:
Anyone used the GU10 LED replacement bulbs? What are they ilike?

Not good for seeing with. Best used for decorative effects only.

The CFLs are good for actual lighting, but that's not why most customers buy downlights. They buy them because they want their house to look like all the others on the council estate - like a shop - so they want the bright, white light of halogens.

didthathurt said:
Anyone used the GU10 LED replacement bulbs? What are they ilike?
Think about what an LED does. It produces a single wavelength of light. If you want white light, that is what you shall get. Just plain white. The thing with plain, pure white is that it is very clinical and pure.

A 60w incandescent lamp produces many colours, blending to make near-white. It has a wide spectrum of colour, so is pleasing to the eye. Fluorescent lamps can also be coated so they make a wider spectrum of light. LEDs just dont cut it, they have a very narrow spectrum and this makes them inpractical for most jobs.

Out of interest, i was in a bar in town last night and they have colour-change LED lights, the nicest light is when all 3 colours were on equally, showing white. And it was totally different to "white" LEDs - a much nicer colour. Maybe this is the way forward?

Would using FCL's be a better option or should I fit fire hoods as the loft space is going to get boarded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back