Downlight holes are too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have home cinema room which I have just painted a nice dark colour, this includes the ceiling. To finish it I thought I'd remove the downlights and spray them black. When trying to refit them I realise that the holes (cut by the builders - the house is only 3 years old) are 85mm! Almost exactly the same size as the downlight flange. It appears they used some kind of sealant/glue to hold them in and painted around the problem. :mad: I tried refitting them with bit of glue but it's a non-starter tbh.

I've read this useful post --> //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1301262 but there are 8 downlights are it would take ages to patch up the holes properly.

So I've been looking at replacement lights, perhaps tilting ones that have a larger hole size. Does the hole size need to match cut-out exactly or if I got ones with an 80mm would it still secure ok?

Also, if I was to move to 12v, can the transformer simply be attached to the existing 240v wiring? All but one of the lights has two 3 core cables going to them.

And finally, the house is only 3 years old - reckon I have any come back from the builder given that they knew they had fitted 60mm lights?

Much appreciated,
Mike

Sponsored Links
85 = standard hole for "eyeball" type downlights..
the fixed ones or the smaller adjustable ones obviously use a smaller hole..
so they've been replaced at some point..

85 = standard hole for "eyeball" type downlights..
the fixed ones or the smaller adjustable ones obviously use a smaller hole..
so they've been replaced at some point..

Bizarrely the whole house is like that and I moved in literally when the builders finished so they must have screwed up when making the holes...

quite possibly, they might have changed the spec between drilling the holes and installing the downlighters, or the plasterers put the holes in when they put the ceiling up ( it does happen.. though not often..:) ) and got the info wrong on what was going in..

Sponsored Links
Go for a tilt design of downlight (you dont have to tilt them if you dont want to)

I use either neweys own brand or JCC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back