Downlighter & Existing ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum hope someone can help.

Replacing my kitchen and whilst the ceiling is being replaced decided to put downlights in. My question is this. Is there a minimum distance the lights must be from the existing upstairs socket ring in the ceiling space.

Sponsored Links
There's no issue with cables being side by side, there is an issue with heat from the DL's.

keep cables away from the lamps to avoid heat issues due to the bulbs.

Thanks Chri5,

Any Idea how far the existing ring shold be from DL. With the position I want to place I would say it will be about 100 - 150mm. Should have mentioned also that I'll be using mains voltage 60min fire rated from TLC.

Sponsored Links
Common sense applies, hot air / heat from the DL's will rise, so keep the ring and as much of the cabling for the DL's out of the direct heat line.

Fire rated Dl's tend to be enclosed, so the heat issues are smoothered a bit, they can get very hot so try to route cables away from the DL's where you can and never have a clipped / fixed run sitting over the DL, have it to the side and keep as much air between DL and cable as the void / air space allows.

So when terminating on the DL's bring the cable over to the side, rather than having a bundle sitting directly above the DL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back