downlighter questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am trying to install 3 downlighters (GU10) into a box section that i have made in my front room, but i am unsure how to wire them in. i cant get to the wires from the main light in the room and the switch is on the opposite side.

could i run a lead from a power socket and fit a inline switch perhaps? because there is a power socket right underneath.
or could i get power from the light socket in some way and run a wire a under the skirting?

thanks for looking

Garry

Sponsored Links
You could spur from the power circuit using a switched fused outlet with a suitably rated fuse for the three downlights, but if you wanted to add to the existing light circuit you need to take a supply from the rooms lighting circuit and add additional switching.

I am trying to install 3 downlighters (GU10) into a box section that i have made in my front room

Lets hear more about this first. Do you have photos of it? It sounds like you'll have 3 downlights churning out heat from behind into a small space. :confused: You are aware halogen is the least economical lighting you can buy? Fit LEDs or CFLs.

There is around 8 inches of room above the light surface, is this enough? and they will only be used now and again.

Also ref the wiring, it says 'daisy chain'..does this mean power to the first then wire the second to the first etc?

thank you.

Sponsored Links
fluorescent down lighters are the best dont get so hot and use less energy , use a fire rated down lighter , if your comming off the sockets used a fused spur with the fuse rated at 3 amps , 1.5 mm twin and earth to a ashley J501 (or alternative 17th ed ) junction box then from there using a heat resistant 1 mm flex the J501 junction box has to be used as they have cord grips and the regs state that unless the cable can be clipped the full length junction boxes have to have cord grips

Ok...so ive taken power from a socket and run cable to a switch (misses bought a 2way fused type) how do i wire the switch? do i put both wires live wires in the top (com) and both blues in L1?

just want to make sure, sorry to be a pain.

Garry

no..
and if it has com and L1 then I doubt it's fused..
you've taken power from a socket you say?
what size cable?
not going to fuse down are we?

one brown in com, one in L1 and the 2 blues in a terminal block in theback of the switch ... earth as needed..

I am trying to install 3 downlighters (GU10) into a box section that i have made in my front room, but i am unsure how to wire them in. i cant get to the wires from the main light in the room and the switch is on the opposite side.

Ok...so ive taken power from a socket
Do you know that the socket isn't already a spur?

and run cable to a switch
What sort of cable?

how do i wire the switch? do i put both wires live wires in the top (com) and both blues in L1?
PART P ELECTRICAL SAFETY

Design and installation

P1
Reasonable provision shall be made in the
design and installation of electrical installations
in order to protect persons operating,
maintaining or altering the installations from
fire or injury.

TBH, given your questions, I don't think you know enough yet to be able to do that....

what utter tosh ,not, junction boxes have been recatagorised to en60670-22 and now have to include cable clamps to comply with 17th edition ,any one wiring twin and earth straight into down lighters are asking for trouble the heat they generate will melt the cables , the clamps fitted in these down lighters just pop off you dont know where the cables lie once they are pushed into the hole hence the junction box and heat resistant cables

Ok...so ive taken power from a socket and run cable to a switch (misses bought a 2way fused type) how do i wire the switch? do i put both wires live wires in the top (com) and both blues in L1?

just want to make sure, sorry to be a pain.

Garry

Please take a moment with a pencil and paper to draw this out and THINK about it. You will hopefully see why this is wrong and what will happen if you do it. If you cannot see this, then I suggest that you call an electrician to get this job done, and then read some books on basic electrical circuits before attempting anything else at all on your mains wiring.

what utter tosh ,not, junction boxes have been recatagorised to en60670-22 and now have to include cable clamps to comply with 17th edition
Which reg?

And how come everybody is still selling these:

BG604.JPG

?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back