Downlighters and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some down lighters to replace my existing kitchen lighting, however the new downlighters have no earth connector inside the fitting, i was told i must follow the earth through, how is this done? and where does the earth terminate, incidentally the downighters are on there own lighting circuit

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are these 12v or 230v downlights.? Decent 12v transformers have an earth termination to facilitate the earth connection. If is 230V and theres no earth connx then use a 5A terminals block at each light like this: http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...YCSTHZOSFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=18802

At the end of the run you will use the earth there to check the Earth Fault Loop Impedance to confirm that the fuse will work!

Are you sure there isn't an earth connection point? It may not be with the phase and neutral terminals.

earthconnectin.jpg

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Fair enough. the lights do not need an earth, but the electrical circuit does!

Assuming the switch wire and neutral is only feeding class 2 downlights then why does the circuit need a CPC? It's only the switch wire and neutral we're talking about isn't it?
The switch must however be earthed if the backbox or faceplate is metal.

Personally I would terminate into 20A 4 terminal junction boxes but a CPC isn't a must in certain circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back