Downlighters+celotex=your help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have some fire rated downlighters that I want to fit in my garage conversion. First if all the ceiling is 12.5mm plasterboard an then it's insulated with 2 layers of 100mm celotex on top of each other. My question is how much space around the fitting do I have to remove from the insulation? Also should I just cut a whole through both sheets of celotex to vent the lights?

Sponsored Links
Will it contravene building regulation, relating to the thermal performance of the building if you remove any insulation?

You are mad, you have a nice cozy room and you want to turn the ceiling into swiss cheese and let all the heat out.

Most downlights require 100mm clear all around them, you wont be able to do that through the downlight hole, unless you are a gaenocologist.

Suggest you look for a different type of light fitting - surface mounted.

I currently have some fire rated downlighters that I want to fit in my garage conversion. First if all the ceiling is 12.5mm plasterboard an then it's insulated with 2 layers of 100mm celotex on top of each other. My question is how much space around the fitting do I have to remove from the insulation? Also should I just cut a whole through both sheets of celotex to vent the lights?
You will need to be guided by the manufacturers instructions for the downlights and what celotex advise.
Having just done an extension with similar insulation properties I seem to recall celotex do not advise using downlights near their material since the required space around the downlight (anything from 100mm to 300mm) will affect the insulation qualities that your designer/architect would have calculated and shown in your plans - these would have been also assessed and passed by building control.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back