Downlighters, fan and and boiler in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Im currently running new circuits for my property, ready for my certified electrician to come check, test and connect.

Ive got to the stage where I need to sort out the bathroom related circuits and face a bit of a problem as regs seem to change every 3 seconds.

Basically, Im intent to install the following in the bathroom:

1) 4 x IP65 fire rated 12V Halogen downlighters
2) 1 x bathroom fan
3) 1 electrical point for the boiler (both of which will be housed in a cabinet in the zone 3 area of the room to adhere to the regs)

The manufacturer of the downlighters has stated that if installed in a bathroom, they have to be on an RCD. I have also read that the regs now recommend fans should be in an RCD as well.

Id split the downstairs lighting into 2 radials to avoid loading problems and put the bathroom (which is downstairs), kitchen and garden lights on together on their own circuit as they are all quite far from the consumer unit.

LIGHTS:

Given the manufacturers specs I had intended to have this lighting circuit on an appropriately rated RCBO or RCD at the consumer unit, would this suffice for the or do I have to have the bath lights on a separate circuit?

FAN:
Ive seen a lot of fans just on 3 point breakers with no fused units or RCDs connected.
If the lighting circuit is on an RCD/RCBO would it be sufficient protection for the fan isolated by a 3 point breaker switch or does it need a dedicated spur and RCD utility?

BOILER:
Ive been informed that provided it and the electrical point are in a cabinet it counts as being in another room.

I was still considering using the outdoor grade fused spur even within the enclosure. Is this advisable or overkill?

I could alternatively have the spur in the kitchen (adjacent to bathroom) and a normal feed point in the cabinet. Which is appropriate?

Apologies for the essay

Sponsored Links
....both of which will be housed in a cabinet in the zone 3 area of the room to adhere to the regs)
Since there is no longer a Zone 3 I have immediate doubts about your ability to comply with the regulations and/or your certified electrician to know if you have.

Given the manufacturers specs I had intended to have this lighting circuit on an appropriately rated RCBO or RCD at the consumer unit, would this suffice for the or do I have to have the bath lights on a separate circuit?
The only opinion which matters is that of your certified electrician, as he is the one signing it off, so you should ask him what he wants you to do, not us.

FAN:
Ive seen a lot of fans just on 3 point breakers with no fused units or RCDs connected.
If the lighting circuit is on an RCD/RCBO would it be sufficient protection for the fan isolated by a 3 point breaker switch or does it need a dedicated spur and RCD utility?
The only opinion which matters is that of your certified electrician, as he is the one signing it off, so you should ask him what he wants you to do, not us.

BOILER:
Ive been informed that provided it and the electrical point are in a cabinet it counts as being in another room.

I was still considering using the outdoor grade fused spur even within the enclosure. Is this advisable or overkill?

I could alternatively have the spur in the kitchen (adjacent to bathroom) and a normal feed point in the cabinet. Which is appropriate?

Apologies for the essay
NP.

Now send it to your certified electrician.

my certified electrician to come check, test and connect.

Your electrician would need to 'certified' if he trusted you to design these circuits.

If he is. foolishly, letting you design and install the circuits, cables etc and then sign the electricial installation sheet and informing BC on your behalf, then I would question which competent person scheme does he belong to.

Okay, I'll shoult the question WHICH COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEME DOES HE BELONG TO?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies, although the tone is a little less friendly than I would have hoped for.

The electrician was informed of the design of the circuits, and the wire ratings before I began running the wires. No connections have been made and none will be made before he inspects the entire installation.

The only confusion has arisen with respect to regulations with the bathroom.

However, since you have aired these concerns I will ask him to come to the property at this stage of the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back