Downlighters in suspended ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to install some downlighters in a suspended ceiling - its standard joists and plasterboard with the original ceiling approx 20cm above

Is 20cm enough clearance for downlighters - or can i get special shielded versions ? 240V preferably

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
given your average floor joist is 8 inch, then that's all the clearance you'd have if you put the lights into a ground floor ceiling..

Sponsored Links
Mmmm... suspended ceiling AND downlights. What a vision of loveliness. Be still my beating heart.

:rolleyes:

And what's the problem with suspended ceilings?

Given your aesthetic preferences, it'd be wise not to criticise others.

Hey BAS - whats the problem with downlighters ?
They are dreadful at actually lighting up rooms, as they are designed specifically to not do that.

They are very popular nowadays ?
1) Because places like B&Q lead people to think that's all there is.

2) Not long ago you could have said the same about stone cladding.

Surely its a matter of personal taste ? We have downlighters in our main bathroom and they work fine and look great

You're not related to Softus are you by the way ?

And would you have needed 16 lights if you'd used ones actually designed to light rooms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back