Downlighters in suspended ceiling

Sponsored Links
if they are 50W then yes.. that's 850W of lighting.. stand under a 500W flood for abit and see how warm you get.

an adequate level of illumination could be achieved with 1 x 20W ( 100W equivalent ) low energy lamp in a batten holder.
so for the sake of taste, you are burning 42.5 times more energy to light th same room.

Went to the dentist the other day. The waiting room has been refurbished. Previously they had about 18 50w halogen downlights over the seated area.

They've now had new lights installed.

Guess what?
18 50w downlights over the seated area!

Same lighting. just in a different pattern on the ceiling.

It's impossible to feel relaxed in that intensity of lighting and all that energy being consumed. :evil:

Sponsored Links
ah man - and I thought it was so hot coz of all the insulation in the roof !

I put the full 270mm up there !

Given a choice I would rather have the stone cladding than downlighters
at least the cladding will eventually fall off
DM

2) Not long ago you could have said the same about stone cladding.

Almost all the nice old Victorian buildings around here are brick clad with stone, (stone cladding!?) still extremely popular and much more aesthetically pleasing than modern materials.

As for the term 'suspended ceiling' it is used all the time* to mean a false ceiling made from [whatever] put in below the original ceiling.

*by me, my colleagues and the OP for a start!

I think suspended ceiling is known throughout most of the trade as any type of ceiling below the level of the 'proper ceiling' meaning the ceiling which also forms the floor of the level above.

It isn't an exclusive term for use with grid and lift up tile type ceilings.

Oh well - it's the only meaning I've ever understood by it.

The OP's construction I would have termed a false ceiling. Or just a ceiling. But never a "suspended ceiling".

YLAL.

suspended ceiling = grid type ceiling with drop in or clip in panels that can be removed for access above.
drop ceiling = solid ceiling constructed of substantial materials below the existing ceiling level ( ie timber battens and plasterboard )

or at least that's how I've always been told..

as for the dentists reception, that's got it's own section in the new regs amendments...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back