Downlighters: Swap 12V Halogen fixtures for 12V strip l.e.d.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum - I came here looking for answers to this question. Cant see any threads that address this square on. Please be gentle with me...

I'm tackling an under counter lighting project. I'm trying to swap five off, 12V halogen surface mounted fittings (use 5W G4 bulbs) for four fancy new l.e.d. strips, the ones strip-pcb-integrations of 12 l.e.d.s into a clear plastic extrusion, about 300mm long.

Of course, the straight swap results in the l.e.d.s being very, very dim.

As I understand it, I need to swap the unregulated halogen TX/convertor/driver (don't know the right name, chaps) for a regulated power supply to make the l.e.d.s light brightly.

Problem is, I installed my halogen power supply in the wall cavity behind the kitchen cabinets. (I know, I know, I know…).

IS there a workaround (external regulator, or resistor, or something smarter) that will avoid me having to tear the kitchen apart to swap these lights?

In truth, I'll just stick with halogen's if not…

In anticipation, esteemed forum members, any help welcomed.

Sponsored Links
You already know the answer!

Solutions:
1. Learn the lesson and rip the wall apart, or
2. mount the correct driver under the cabinet and find another way of getting 230v to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back