downlighting in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i intend putting 8 halogen downlighters in the kitchen 4 either side of the ceiling how do i get the wiring from one side if ceiling to the other bearing in mind there are 3 joists in between

Sponsored Links
Work from the floor above?

If it's a flat roof then your have to remove plaster boards, do work and replace board and re-plaster.

450mm centres are normal for joists and you might get away with taking a 100mm strip of board off across the joist run, but a re-plaster will be required after you have patch boarded the damaged area. 100mm will give you enough room to centre drill the joist for the cable run.

While we're on the subject, is it permissable to clip the cable on top of the joist and make good with the cable just below the surface of the ceiling? Is this considered bad practice? This allows smaller holes to be used to route the cable past joists, which can be easily repaired.

to the OP - you can use cable rods to easily feed the cables from one light to another - once you have a way of getting past the joists.

While we're on the subject, is it permissable to clip the cable on top of the joist and make good with the cable just below the surface of the ceiling?

You mean underneath the joist?

No, it's not permissable.

Sponsored Links
yeah i meant underneath, clipped to the bottom of the joist

ok cheers, is it just not a rigorous enough erection method? or is there a minimum depth that cables should be buried?

Going across studs in walls can you check a notch out of the wood and clip there? I'd have thought that would be ok?

i intend putting 6 halogen downlighters in the kitchen
Dont. You'll regret it.

4 either side of the ceiling
But that sounds like 8. You said 6.

how do i get the wiring from one side if ceiling to the other bearing in mind there are 3 joists in between
If theres only 3, you either have a very small kitchen, or your house is about to fall down.

And I dont mean to talk down or belittle you (not that you didnt leave yourself wide open), but next time you wish to ask for advice, a few full stops . . . and commas, , , would be a great help in making your writing make sense. I suppose capital letters to start a sentence might be going a bit far though. This is an internet forum, not a txt msg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back