Kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put up Ikea "non" little spots on the ceiling as accent lighting in the kitchen with one 50w halogen downlight for main lighting, but my electrician says i should use 4 of the 50w halogen downlights only. My kitchen is a galley type only 3m long. I dont even know what 50w halogen equates too (ie 50w light bulb?) please advise

Sponsored Links
It may be that your electrician was stating the Maximum amount of fittings you should use?
Or the fact that One fitting may not be adequate to give sufficient light ouput for your kitchen?
You may need to experiment with different lamps regarding their beam angle to get sufficient coverage( the lamps themselves will have it printed on them in degrees)

The wattage rating applies the same regardless of whether it is a Halogen lamp or normal tungsten lamp and i think you are confusing this "load" rating with the equivalent Light output rating that manufacturers mention which in the case of the halogen will be higher.

i would have more than one 50 w lamp, most halogen lamps will produce a "cone" of light so how will you see? ad what if the one lamp blows, kitchens should always be very wll lit (imo)

Osram do a 60 degree selv 50W dichroic lamp. Excellent spread compared to 38 degree.

Sponsored Links
One spot light will make your kitchen look like a shower cubicle. Your electrician is giving you plenty of light in your kitchen. At 3M long I'd say 3 50W spots is enough (or 2 with your accent light fittings). I'd use the 240V type of spots rather than the 12V type as there's less to go wrong with them. Make sure he puts one either side of the sink so as not to cast a shadow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back