Downlights and pendants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey,

Is it a good idea/legal/functional to install LED downlights on the same circuit as a pendant style CFL lamp? By that I mean operated by the same switch.

I'm not looking for opinions on downlighters - they are forming part of a wider lighting plan :LOL: ......

Happy friday!

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
hey,

Is it a good idea/legal/functional to install LED downlights on the same circuit as a pendant style CFL lamp? By that I mean operated by the same switch.
Good idea? Depends on the physical size.

I'm not looking for opinions on downlighters
Nevertheless you are entitled to them.

they are forming part of a wider lighting plan :LOL: ......
Does the plan involve the use of downlights for general room illumination or for the illumination of specific small areas? What size downlights were you thinking of?

Personally I'd want them switched separately, but nothing at all wrong with having them both on the same switch.

Sponsored Links
oooh delayed reply! This full time job and renovation project really eats into your internet time!!

It's a ~3m x ~5m study with staircase - I'm illuminating my desk and some photographs/maps and some bookshelves with 6 x 5-7w directional LED downlighters and one pendant light for general illumination. didn't really want the stairs in there but they are and I can't be bothered explaining how they have ended up in a room earmarked for a study!

Thing is - I really like shadows and contrasts from my lighting. I really despise the diffuse and even light. If you're going to light a room, why pretend it's natural - the directional downlights will provide shadows around the various shelves and room features

(lets assume highest wattages I'm going to install...)

The split will be:
- 2x 10w GU10 LEDs and 1 x 18 watt bayonette CFL on one switch
- 4x 10w GU10 LEDS on the other.
- Localised working and reading lights are going to come from desk lamps.

I have decided to split my spots into two circuits as it meets my needs better, but that means that the pendant (with cfl) needs combining into the smaller of the LED downlight circuits.

I have too many switches to make it worthwhile adding an extra circuit as it's the result of two rooms knocked into one already.

Incidently - I have a similar plan (wierd eh :LOL: )for the dining room - 6x 5-7w LED downlighters - backed up with a big old lazy incandescent bulb something a bit like this. This little lot will be controlled by a 2-way; 2-gang dimmer, with toggle switches at both entrances to the room. I was thinking of the MK K1524WHILV. expensive but works with LEDs and low wattage installations, and fits in with my MK range of sockets and light switches.

There - you got it out of me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back