Downlights fire risk ?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just fitted some downlights in a bedroom , What do you suggest I do about the tops of the fittings that are exposed in the loft, They get pretty warm and the loft insulation needs to be placed around them. Whats the best way of covering them or should they be left exposed, Any suggestions greatfully accepted. Regards TV MAN.

Sponsored Links
Replace them with the enclosed fire rated type.

In an ideal world but there's no reason to if he leaves an area around the existing fittings free from insulation and general loft junk.
I'm sure he'll not be up for changing fittings that have just been installed.

Sponsored Links
I have just found a related topic on this site suggesting the use of flower pots to cover the lights ! :confused:

quite right

large terra-cotta ones (not plastic) are fireproof and even have a ventilation hole in the top (bottom).

Its where I keep mine!

Unless you get good discounts at an electrical wholesalers, terracotta flower pots may well work out cheaper!

Please don't grow australian carrots in them thou, the watering may cause several serious problems ;)

I got some big flower pots , they do the job OK , They don't get hot and keep the loft insulation away from the lights. Job done. Thanks for all your input. Regards TVMAN :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back