DOWNLIGHTS, simple quick answer (I think!).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
1. I need to put eight downlights in my Mother's kitchen.
Ive got 2 B&Q Diall 150va Transformers. I want to use 35w lamps.
Each transformers has 3 leads attached...( the wiring is a simple in and out of small connecting boxes between each lamp) but I need 4...can I simply put my own led on to create the 4 th lamp lead?

2. Is it alright to connect 2 transformers to one ceiling rose/J Box?

3 Should I just buy an extra transfromer and can I connect SAFELY 3 transformers to one ceiling rose..J Box?

many thanks for any rplies!

Niv. View media item 67752

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that the transformer is not 105vA?
If there are only three cables from the transformer it would be very unwise to add to it - you will most likely blow the transformer.
Follow the manufacturers instructions.

If it's 150VA and designed for 3 x 50W lamps, then 4 x 35W will be OK.

But what won't be OK is when somebody in the future starts putting in 50's, so on balance don't modify it.

But if possible, have second thoughts. 8 lights for an 11m² room? Do you not wonder if the reason you need so many is because they are no good at lighting up rooms?

And 3.4p - 6.8p per hour to run, not including lamp replacement costs, depending on tariff, whether you do stick to 35Ws etc.

What ? The OP lives in a white gloss box :LOL:

But you no doubt know that!

Knowall

Sponsored Links
But what won't be OK is when somebody in the future starts putting in 50's, so on balance don't modify it.

All that will happen is that the overload will cause it to trip off. These switch mode power supplies (they are not transformers) are overload protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back