Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some fire protected downlights to put in a bedroom. I wanted to get come with GU10 connectors so I could use the megaman dimmable energy saver bulbs. They shop did not have any but the manager just told me to change the 12v bulb connectors with the GU10 connector cables he gave me and wire them without a transformer. My first question is is this safe to do. He said they do exactly that in the factory as the housings are the same.

My second question is to do with heat. The lights are going in an old lath and plaster ceiling so the instructions say not to go above 35 watts in this type of material. Will it be ok to use the energy saver bulbs as they only draw 11 watts or will they get too hot

Finally the hole recommended for the light is 85mm. However on measuring the unit it is 79mm diameter. I have a 79mm holesaw will it be ok to use this I figure I can sand it a little wider if needed.

Thanks

asylum

Sponsored Links
Fine, assuming the CFL's will still fit in the fitting without touching it due to the larger size. I've seen a few sets that come with both types of fly lead to choose from.

Fine, CFL's produce little heat, so shouldn't be a problem.

Depends... the housings may be 79mm, but don't forget you have to get the clips/fixings through the hole too, which may require it to be wider.

Thanks for the quick reply. The unit was a 12v but I changed the connctor for a 240v bulb however in the instructions it says class 3 low voltage luminaries must not be connected to a 240v supply. Is it still safe to connect it.

The instructions aren't expecting the user to have converted them into class 2 230V luminaires, though, are they? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Before you go too far -

Get one of the CFL lamps and see if they will go into your fittings. A lot of CFLs are very deep and may not go all the way into a fire-rated fitting.

Why do you need fire-rated fittings? Is the ceiling fire rated? Do you live in an apartment block?

Finally re
I figure I can sand it a little wider if needed.
You'll have fun tryimg that on laths and will probably break off the fragile plaster round the hole. Better to spend £4 on the correct size.

Ok got a look at some 240v ones today and they are different much bigger connector and they have an earth connection. However I have decided not to fit them as after looking at the job and the work involved in taking out part of my old ceiling and probably replacing it with plasterboard squares it is just to much hassle. So I am not looking for recommendations on low level surface mount spots that could take the megaman CFL bulbs. Any advice welcome :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back