Downlights ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok all, i fitted some downlights and a dimmer switch in my kitchen about for week ago and all as bin well untill now.

Last night and tonight i have notest that the downlights when on full dim have started to flicker on low setting.

When turnd up full by the dimmer thay are ok on full light and only flickers on low setting.

? Could it be that the dimmer switch is faulty in this short space of time.

The lights are most allways on the low setting and hardly turnd up at all.

The downlights was put in in the daisy chain set up with i think 4m t&e cable.

Cheers for any info as i dont no if there could be a bulb on the way out or not.

Thank's

Sponsored Links
4m cable?? I think you mean 4mm and even that is enough rating for a cooker!!!
Did the lights come with a transformer and the dimmer switch together? I believe (though am not qualified to make a statement) that you need a different dimmer switch for low voltage (with a transformer) lighting circuit.
If it came as a kit, it sounds like your dimmer is on the way out and I would look for a receipt...

Soz m8 cable is 1.5mm lol and the downlighs are 240 and 50w each x 6 run to a dimmer switch.

Carnt see there being a problem with the wireing as i took my time and all has been well till now.

The dimmer was only £10 so it could be that as when i fitted it on low setting you could hear a buz comein form the dimmer switch.

It carnt be a bulb as all the lights on low flicker and are ok on full.

Cheer's for help.

they aren't wired like fairy lights! one bulb on the way out will not cause the whole lot to flicker.

Replace that dimmer with a decent one. MK or Varilight touch control. Varilight very reliable and B&Q do them. They do remote control ones too. Expect to pay £20+

Sponsored Links
Cheers Crafty :) we new you would see the post think you helped me when i fitted them lol.

Yeah looks as the dimmer is pants m8 ill have to spend more on one this time and like you siad get a good one.
We ant got a B&Q m8 where i live only Do IT in THE hall and i carnt see them havein varilight touch one's.

Still ill look into it m8 as i carnt be haven the light's flicker on dim as that is what i have them on most of the time as i get bugs comein in the kitchen window in the summer when there on full lol.

Cheers again.

no B&Q? ring them up! they might relocate a store for you! seem to have been springing up everywhere of late. but on a more serious note, varilight dimmers are available from www.tlc-direct.co.uk great service.

there are 2 types of switch incandecent and flouresent you need the latter one bud

? what make are thay m8 on TLC as i carnt find the make, just had a look.

Thay have got varilight dimmers on flebay for 17 dollas, bucks, £'s :)

Sounds good to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back