Downpipe discharge onto lower pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The downpipe from our main roof discharges onto a lower pitched roof and when the rain is heavy it overshoots the lower gutter. It is also by the edge of the lower roof and so leaks off the side causing moss build up and rotting of the lower fascia.

Have thought of 2 options to fix this so far:

(a) extend the downpipe so it runs down the lower roof and then into a newly added hopper at the bottom but I am not sure to how to secure it to the tiles, can I drill a couple of holes in the tile and then cut short some wall plugs and use screws to clip it on?
(b) relocate the existing downpipe from the main roof further to the left and then run a piece of downpipe across the flat roof and into an opening to a different downpipe. I have drawn an example of what I mean.

Any views on which would be better or any other ideas please?

Thanks!

IMG_20231119_092148.jpg

IMG_20231119_153615.jpg

IMG_20231119_152705_eidt.jpg

IMG_20231119_153600.jpg

IMG_20231119_153605.jpg

Sponsored Links
No experience. You could fix an extension using a plop of mortar. Alternative is to fix it somehow at the gutter side of the extension.

easiest way is to cut the downpipe a bit shorter, then swan neck it over to the flat roof

No experience. You could fix an extension using a plop of mortar. Alternative is to fix it somehow at the gutter side of the extension.

Thanks. When you say the gutter side of the extension do you mean onto the fascia just before where it will be going into a new hopper?

easiest way is to cut the downpipe a bit shorter, then swan neck it over to the flat roof

Would you pipe it straight on to the flat roof or run a pipe across the flat roof so it comes out where it drains off into the white downpipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. When you say the gutter side of the extension do you mean onto the fascia just before where it will be going into a new hopper?

Would you pipe it straight on to the flat roof or run a pipe across the flat roof so it comes out where it drains off into the white downpipe?
I would put a 90 deg bend, and a short length of straight directed towards to chute

Run it down the tiled roof into lower gutter, secure each new section to the previous section using a couple of small stainless self tapping screws into piloted holes.

Run it down the tiled roof into lower gutter, secure each new section to the previous section using a couple of small stainless self tapping screws into piloted holes.
Seconded, that's exactly what I have done...
20231121_100013.jpg

If I go down the tiles the pipe will be a single piece of downpipe so won't need to secure multiple sections. My worry is that if it is not secured to the tiles it will blow around in the wind.

Seconded, that's exactly what I have done...
View attachment 321949

Interesting thanks. Is it attached to the tiles?

Interesting thanks. Is it attached to the tiles?
I used a couple of pieces of copper wire, looped around the slate nails to hold it down.
You could probably do something similar, around the tile battens?

Run a long (or join a couple of) cable ties, behind/under the gutter bracket, make it loop up and over the end of the pipe. Pop another screw in the top of the lower end of the pipe to loop the cable tie over.

Your existing shoe might not match the angle of the roof, so use two 90⁰ bends to make an adjustable bend. Preferably glued together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back