Downstairs cloakroom - urgent lighting questions

Sponsored Links
The ceiling can be broken into from the room, but not from above, which someone told me I would need to do to change the wiring. If this is not the case, then we could do it. But it seems a lot of trouble. Would think it is probably easier to just put the fan on occasionally.

Above the room is an empty space with a pitched roof above. The room next to it has a pitched roof which goes up above the current utility room. (Infuriating lack of planning permission meant we had to do this - a very long story.)

Got to get on with packing so will come back to this site in a few days. Thanks.

The ceiling can be broken into from the room, but not from above, which someone told me I would need to do to change the wiring. If this is not the case, then we could do it. But it seems a lot of trouble. Would think it is probably easier to just put the fan on occasionally.
As has been said, given the presence of the outside door (even if you never open it!), regulations to do require any sort of fan, so there is clearly no requirement for the fan to be controlled by the lighting switch. However, as you have said, it would behaps be nice/convenient to have it wired to the lighting. Given the access problems, since it is "only a loo/cloakroom", would you consider having the wiring in surface-mounted trunking (something which has already been mentioned)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What is in surface-mounted trunking?
Rectangular, D-shaped or other shaped plastic 'channel' with a removable lid which can be fixed to surfaces to contain cabes, for example:

MTMIN0.JPG

Kind Regards, John

Thanks.
Maybe we could try things as they are and then if ventilation seems a problem, we could use this.

At the moment the promised plumber has not been in touch to come and see the room - so the project is rather tantalisingly on hold. One is probably not meant to promote anyone on here; but if that is not the case, if anyone knows a good plumber in central Surrey, I would love to hear from them.
Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back