Downstairs Neighbours gas mains enters my attic

It was the previous owner who had the work done over 10 years ago. The new owner rents to his daughter inlaw and her kid. Relationship with them has been fine. Any work needed done on drains and roof etc has always been split with no issues. Hopefully they will agree and understand if it needs moved. I’d even be happy to go halfers with them if it is their responsibility to pay.

Sponsored Links
Oh right, I should know by now to read every post (y) I think I picked up on your comment .....
and the downstairs has no rights to have the gas supply run through her home

Some mad installer then taking the pi$$ and taking the easiest path to run the gas pipe after the meter.

Oh right, I should know by now to read every post (y) I think I picked up on your comment .....

Some mad installer then taking the pi$$ and taking the easiest path to run the gas pipe after the meter.
Yes mate , that "GAS Supply" comment was before the OP said that there was a meter box, it was the OP that origionally said it was a supply and not a carcass

It was the previous owner who had the work done over 10 years ago. The new owner rents to his daughter inlaw and her kid. Relationship with them has been fine. Any work needed done on drains and roof etc has always been split with no issues. Hopefully they will agree and understand if it needs moved. I’d even be happy to go halfers with them if it is their responsibility to pay.
In your situation drains and roofs are shared responsibility as you both use them , their gas outlet has nothing to do with you, so dont offer to pay for anything, it is the downstairs responsibility, nothing to do with you, lots of routes you could go down but you dont want to fall out with them over this, so talk it through, dont just be nice , look at the legal things, like say the said gas pipe leaked and caused damage to your property, then would your insurance pay out, or would theirs, too many ifs just be polite and say it is your gas pipe do not say supply because that is something different,and I am doing a loft conversion so you will have to have it routed to your own property at your expense

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for all your help and advice everyone. I will have a chat with the builder and the neighbour and see what can be done. I just had a look and the pipe definitely comes from her meter box up the wall so I might have a case.

Not that it really matters that much but her comment about the meter being "outside her kitchen window, the pipe comes up the wall into the attic etc was 4 posts before you mentioned "she has a 2 up 2 down and the downstairs has no rights to have the gas supply ...." ;)

Not that it really matters that much but her comment about the meter being "outside her kitchen window, the pipe comes up the wall into the attic etc was 4 posts before you mentioned "she has a 2 up 2 down and the downstairs has no rights to have the gas supply ...." ;)
Honestly have no idea what you are on about ?????

It's not going to make you popular with the Neighbours, but they have no legal right to have their gas supply routed through your property. As said, if it starts to leak within your property, are you able to isolate the supply and keep it isolated until repairs are done?

Regardless, if they have nothing in the Deeds to provide a wayleave for this pipe, you are well within your rights to tell them it needs to be removed, and rerouted outside your property at their expense. I would suggest you give 30 days for them to make some arrangements.

1 up and 1 down? Is this one flat ground floor and one flat upper floor and the same on the other side? I’m in agreement, surely there would be an easier way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The meter is on the front wall, outside her kitchen window. the pipe comes up the wall Into my attic across the floor and down through a cupboard in the middle of my house to her house.
I own my property.

The pipe beyond the meter is installer provided. I cannot see how he can demand access through your property. Maybe I am missing something

an internal pipe passing through one flat to another can only travel vertically boxed in ducted /ventilated and i think fire sealed there can be no horizontal run on it which yours must have for it to travel across the loft before dropping down again ...
So well within your rights to tell them to move it
Had this scenario few years back and it really surprised me that the internals were still allowed to go through another flat , both were owned by council so no argument about right of going through someone elses property .

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
As it's after the meter pointing out that you could even get a mate to add a tap off of it to feed your gas fire and you could be using gas that they are paying for.... could make them want to move it sharpish. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back