Downstairs not flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Detached house about 4 years old. Shower in ensuite bathroom started to give problems draining last week, happens every 3rd or 4th time shower is used. Noticed that when flushing ensuite toilet you can now hear a whooshing gurgling sound from shower drain. Below the ensuite, on the ground floor is the downstairs toilet. This is now not flushing correctly, water fills the bowl when flushed. Main toilet to back of house is unaffected. Have tried using plunger and drain clearer on sinks and shower. Also tried pouring hot water downstairs toilet with washing up liquid. I am assuming the ensuite and downstairs toilet are using the same pipe. Is there anything else I can try or do I need professional help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
see if you can find the manhole that the pipe drains into - may be partially blocked

Thanks for the reply. There are two manhole covers on the driveway. Opened the first one and it is full of dark brown water with some floating paper and other "objects". I assume I need some drain rods to try to unblock. Is it normally quite easy to do?

Which manhole are you looking at and does one feed the other. If the manhole is backing up then the blockage or obstruction is further down the line somewhere. How far from your boundary is the manhole. It may sound silly but using drain rods can make things worse if you are unfamiliar with them and an attachment comes off while you are trying to rod the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Just checked under the other manhole and that is completely dry

The two manholes are side by side on the front driveway about a metre from the pavement

Which manhole are you looking at and does one feed the other. If the manhole is backing up then the blockage or obstruction is further down the line somewhere. How far from your boundary is the manhole. It may sound silly but using drain rods can make things worse if you are unfamiliar with them and an attachment comes off while you are trying to rod the pipes.
Very true - get a decent set and keep turning them clockwise - screwing in each rod and attachment - the rubber flat plunger is nit a good one - it can come apart easily. The corkscrew is a good one .

If they are only a metre from the pavement then the blockage is likely outside your boundary and therefore the responsibility of your local waterboard , give them a call.

Resolved with the help of a drain rod. Main outlet to the sewer was clogged, lots of mushy paper and some large stones blocking the exit route. Thanks for all your help.

Large stones ? down to the builders. seen it before. You saved ££££ - even the good guys charge £100 afaik. ;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back