Downstairs rads not heating up and cold at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Recently had some building work done and had some new rads put in downstairs. For various reasons our system was drained down for about a month (!).

Now when I put the heating on the upstairs rads get nice and hot but downstairs do not. Some of them get warm at the top and others are stone cold. When I feel the pipes gonig to the rads downstairs that get warm the inlet pipe is red hot but the outlet pipe is only just warm. Anyone any ideas what I could try??

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Thankf for that, looked at the balancing FAQ, will give that a go, just searching for suitable thermomemters on ebay!

Balancing is good, however you might want to shut off all valves on the upstairs rads. Close all the downstairs rads apart from one and run the boiler. That rad should get hot and you *should* hear a big gurgle of air being pushed through. Once that rad is hot, open a second one downstairs etc and then follow the balancing procedure.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to get a 'rough' idea just by feeling the rads. Doesn't need to be an exact science IMO, provided they all get hot then usually minor tweaking is all that is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back