Drachma for your thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother-in-law's brother is a Greek electrician (Sparkatus?). Having once lent him a helping hand on a job (in Greece), my Dad learnt a couple of interesting facts:

1) "most" Greek households are apparently fed by a three-phase supply. Whether or not "most" is accurate, it's clearly very common

2) a standard setup is for a radial circuit, presumably in 4mm, to feed a "strong" socket in each room of a house from which a 2.5mm ring then feeds the other sockets.

Having lived in Greece myself, I'm aware that things are often done, erm, a little differently so I'd be very interested in people's opinions as to the merits / flaws of these setups. I ask purely as a an enthusuastic DIYer keen to learn ....

Sponsored Links
All EEC countries believe in the radial circuit, there's no such thing as a ring in Europe.

It's very common to find a circuit per room, some on 30 amp 4mm cores and others on 20 amp 2.5mm cores.

Thanks for the reply (I know this isnt a sexy topic). I'm aware that the ring is largely a British affair, but I was interested in views on the merits of rings being bolted on to radials ... say, when it comes to testing / safety viz a sraight ring ...`.

And on three phase, why didnt the UK didnt go down this road ..... ?

Sponsored Links
All EEC countries believe in the radial circuit, there's no such thing as a ring in Europe.

It's very common to find a circuit per room, some on 30 amp 4mm cores and others on 20 amp 2.5mm cores.

Are rings not used in Malta & Cyprus?

I was interested in views on the merits of rings being bolted on to radials
Not a lot of point.

There can be a place for them with very short radial stubs at the CU (search here for "lollipop").

... say, when it comes to testing / safety viz a sraight ring ...`.
They're just as dangerous as a normal ring, and harder to test and describe.

And on three phase, why didnt the UK didnt go down this road ..... ?
We did, but usually we find that 1 phase is enough to give to people.

3-phase is more dangerous, and given the prevalence of numpties who can't even successfully replace light switches, I dread to think of the catastrophes they'd unleash if you gave them 400V to mess with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back