Draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into an end terrace house, the house was originally built in 1913.

Since moving in I have noticed quite a draft in the front room, which seems to originate from the floor close to the windows. I have had a look at the front of the property and I have noticed that there are 4 grills/ventilation fittings in the brickwork. I have also noticed quite a gap between the brick work and the paving slabs at the front of the house. The house has bay windows and in the two corner areas sit both the electricity and gas meters, that could explain why I have two of the grills/ventilation fittings, but im not sure why the other two are there which are directly on the front of the house.

The front room still has the original flooring so there has been some warping of the wood, which is expected, but the draft during the real cold periods is quite unbearable.

I have attached a few pictures to try and set the scene.

Has anyone on here had any experience of this sort of issue and could they offer any advice on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Neil

Sponsored Links
They're for venting the suspended timber joists in your floor to stop them going rotten. You must not block the vents up.

To stop the drafts, if you can't get into the void, you need to lift the boards and insulate between the joists. Otherwise stick a good underlay down and carpet will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back